Frugality

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Make It Yourself - Ice Packs

 
Here is what you need:
  • Palmolive Original Dish Soap ( Green only!)
  • Ziploc Bags
  • Duct Tape
  • Sponges (Optional See Below)

 
 Step 1: 
 Fill Ziploc Bag With desired amount of Palmolive. 
I filled mine about 1/4 full but will maybe add a
 little more next time. 

Remove air from the bag as best you can and seal.
(see below how I did this)

 Step 2:
Place tape along the top to seal.


Step 3:
Place your filled bag into another Ziplock bag upside down.

Again get as much air as you can out of the bag and seal. 

You could also put tape on this bag to be extra safe.

My solution to getting the air out:
To get the air out of the bags I first sealed them almost 
closed and then stuck a straw into the corner to pull the air 
out. Careful not to suck up the soap.I don't know about
 you but it's been way to long since I have had my 
mouth washed out with soap. :)

Here is my finished product before it hit the freezer.

And after it was frozen.

My Results:
First let me tell you I ♥ these and they were super simple to make 
at that. I did a little research before I started in search of the best recipe and this was literally the easiest one and had the best reviews. The dish soap does not freeze fully and turns into an awesome mold-able slush. Be sure to only use Green Palmolive though. I have not pin pointed what it is about the "green" one that makes it not freeze and turn into this awesomeness but whatever it is it worked and I'm a happy camper. I will leave the scientific part of it to the pros.

My Results when Adding a Sponge to the Bag:
As you can see I have 2 different bags. I read a few reviews that said adding a sponge helped to suck up the liquid as it thaws to minimize a spill. While it could help to do that I don't see much use for it. It makes the ice packs way harder to work with. One thing I can say is that it does seem to be a little colder and stay 
frozen for a longer period of time. 


 
Either way this is a super easy MIY project that you
are sure to use especially with Kiddos around. I may 
even try and add glitter the next time around to make 
it fun for the younger kid's when they get a booboo.

 Mr.NBA & AM have already put them to good 
use when they returned home from Basketball 
tonight and they say they work great.

So try it out and let us know your results.
Until then I'm off to find my next MIY project.



No comments:

Post a Comment